For Books Published between 1900-1982, you must use the Print Index Book Review Digest.
To locate the Book Review Digest:
Go to Seymour Library, First floor. Go to the reference desk, and then facing the reference desk turn left to go down the North Aisle. You will see a shelf of books on the right about 3/4 of the way back. Here you will find the Book Review Digest.
To Use the Book Review Digest :
- Determine the Publication Year for the work you want to find reviews of ~ Often googling "Publication date of ...." is the easiest way to do this. If you can't find it, check WorldCat and sort by Oldest date or ask a Librarian.
- Pull the volume of Book Review Digest for that year.
- Look up the author of your work alphabetically.
- Under the author name - Look for the title of the Work, If your work or author is not listed, look in the following year. Sometimes it takes a bit for the reviews to come out and be indexed.
- The Reviews will be listed underneath.
- To Decipher the Entry -
- Each review will have the following elements
- Author of the review
- Journal Title Abbreviation
- Volume number
- Page Numbers
- Look up the Journal title abbreviation in the list in the front of the book.
- Jot down all the information.
- To Get the Review
- Look up the Journal title in the library catalog.
- If it is listed, click on the journal title to get the info on what years we have.
- If we have the year needed, Check to see if our subscription is Online or In Print.
- If In Print, Go to the Bound Periodicals section the basement to find the journal. The journals are arranged A-Z by journal title and then by year and volume#. Find the Volume you need, and turn to the correct page.
- If Online, click on the link and navigate to the year, volume and page.
- If we don't have the year needed, then go to your Illiad account. Choose New Article Request, and fill in the information requested with the information from the Index.