Use the I-Share Catalog to check for books and technical reports that you can borrow from another I-Share library.
I-Share deliveries usually arrive in about 3-5 days.
Be aware that you may not have access to ebooks in the I-Share catalog unless it is a public domain ebook or unless Knox also owns it. Ebooks have a distinctive icon associated with them:
Tip: When searching, click the box at the top that allows you to hide the e-resources that you will not have access to:
Your results from a search of GeoRef may have items listed which are conference reports. Often, conference reports are only abstracts of papers presented at conferences and are not full journal articles. We will usually reject your interlibrary loan request if that is the case, so study your search results carefully and avoid requesting conference reports.
Many articles are available in full text right within the database you are searching. If the article you need is not available in full text in the database, then click on the button:
Another window will open showing you full text options for this article. If there are no choices for online sources of the full text, you can
When you have a citation to a journal article from a bibliography or list of references (perhaps from a journal article, book or encyclopedia article) you can find out if that article is available online:
1. From the Library's home page, click on the E-Journals tab and type in the title of the journal and click the GO button. (Note: Do NOT type in the title of the article!)
2. If your journal appears in the list, then look at the dates of coverage to see if the issue you need is available online.
3. If you do not see your journal in the list of results, then the library does not have access to the full text online for that journal. If that is the case, you have two more options:
To find out if a journal is available in Seymour Library, search the Knox Library Catalog. Use the "Title" search:
If the journal is listed, scroll down to near the end of the record and check to see if the issue you need is included in the holdings listed for Knox College.
Current periodicals are located on the first floor and older issues are located in the basement. Periodicals in both areas are shelved alphabetically by title.
Knox College is a member of a consortium of academic libraries in Illinois (CARLI) which allows members from each library to borrow books from any of the other 79 libraries in the consortium. The I-Share Catalog is the shared library catalog for the 80 libraries.
To make a request to borrow a book from the I-Share Catalog:
1. Login to your account before you begin searching. Click here for help with creating an account.
2. Search for a title. Look at the holdings information for the title and make sure there is a copy available for loan.
3. Click on the "Request First Available" tab:
4. Click the REQUEST button.
You will receive an email message when the item arrives in Seymour Library; it will be placed on the hold shelf for you. Check the book out as you would any other book from the Knox Library.
The due date will be written on the slip attached to the book.
You may renew I-Share books online in your library account.
Use Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) to obtain
There is no fee to use this service.
Books will be loans, but articles will arrive as photocopies, which are yours to keep.