Interlibrary Loan: Borrowing Materials From Other Libraries: General Guidelines

Borrowing Materials From Other Libraries

The Knox College Library offers two ways to borrow materials from other libraries, I-Share and ILLiad. To choose the best method of delivery, please read about the choices below.

See also the I-Share FAQ and ILLiad FAQ -- the Frequently Asked (and answered!) Questions pages.

If you have questions about your I-Share loans, please contact the Circulation Desk at Seymour Library (309) 341-7246.

If you have questions about your ILLiad loans, please contact the Readers' Services department at Seymour Library (309) 341-7244 or email During non-business hours, please contact the Circulation Desk at  (309) 341-7246.


Search the Knox Library Catalog first before requesting materials.

Use I-Share: the fastest method to borrow books from other libraries is the I-Share system. Materials arrive, on average, in 3 days.

If a book is not available in the I-Share catalog, place a request through ILLiad.

Volumes from a multi-volume set are best requested from ILLiad.


Look up the journal title in the E-journals database first. This search will tell you if the full text is available online.

Use ILLiad: articles from journals and newspapers to which Knox does not have a subscription, must be ordered through ILLiad. Materials arrive, on average, in 5-7 days.

Non-print Materials

Search the Knox Library Catalog first before requesting materials.

Use ILLiad: items such as DVDs, videotapes, audio and microfilm should be requested through ILLiad.

Requests for Items from Dissertation Abstracts

Dissertation Abstracts is not a typical academic journal. Dissertation Abstracts is a publication that prints abstracts of Masters and Doctoral dissertations. These abstracts are summaries or descriptions of completed dissertations and are not journal articles.

Doctoral, Masters and Undergraduate theses are  usually not available via Interlibrary Loan and, for the most part, as unpublished documents, they are not appropriate sources for undergraduate research. This is particularly true of Undergraduate and Masters level theses. Appropriate sources, such as peer reviewed journal articles, can be found using journal databases.

If you have identified a dissertation that you would like to obtain, please email for help in obtaining the item.